Financial Documents for I-20
What to submit:
To request a UTSA I-20, submit the following to the International Student Services (IS) office:
- The completed UTSA Confirmation of Financial Resources (CFR) form.
- A copy of your passport.
- Sufficient financial support documentation for the first year of study. Additional financial support is required for all dependents that you bring to the United States under F-2 visa.
How to submit
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions on how to submit your documents
UTSA Financial Support for F-1 Students
Most United States Consulates or Embassies will require original copies of all financial documents - bank statements, bank letters, university assistance offers, scholarships, and any other sources of funding - when you apply for an F-1 visa, however you may submit scanned copies to the International Student Services for the purpose of obtaining a UTSA I-20.
Indicate your name and your UTSA ID on any submitted documents.
Reason for Submitting Financial Affidavit
Confirmation of Financial Resources (CFR) form
This form shows the estimated expenses for the first year. These estimates are subject to change without prior notice; the exact costs of attendance will vary by student and will be determined at the point of course registration. All students and sponsors must hand sign the form – form does not accept electronic signatures. Please indicate the source of your financial documents on page 2. You may select more than one source of financial support. If you have more than one sponsor, please submit a CFR form for each sponsor
If the Bank Certification section of the UTSA financial affidavit form is not completed by the bank, you can submit supplemental financial support documents. The supplemental financial support documents must meet all of the requirements listed below. If any of the following elements are missing, the document(s) cannot be used for the I-20. All documents must have an issuance date no older than 12 months from the date the ISSO advisor reviews your financial documents, unless otherwise specified.
Please keep in mind, you will need to show sufficient financial support documents as a part of your F-1 visa interview. It can be beneficial to carry more recently issued financial documents to your visa interview.
All statements must be in English
- Bank letterhead
- Account holder name using English alphabet
- Type of Liquid Account
- Balance of the Account
- Date of Issuance
Loan Sanction Letters
- The statement must be in English
- Must be Sanctioned “, In-Principle” Sanctioned, or approved
- All borrowers/co-borrowers must hand sign the UTSA Financial Affidavit.
- Date of Issuance
- Bank/Institution letterhead
- The principal amount of loan being given
- The statement must be on official company letterhead.
- The sponsor’s name must be visible on the statement.
- Salary statement must show the amount of money your sponsor makes per year. We can apply up to one third of the total annual base salary towards the required funding for your I-20.
- The statement should be signed by someone with signatory authority, such as Human Resources or a supervisor.
- Must have an issuance date no older than 6 months from the date the ISSO advisor reviews your financial documents.
- The statement needs to be in English.
Investment accounts and provident funds may be accepted as long as the financial institution signs page 2 of the UTSA Financial Affidavit or the account statement specifies how much is available in liquid funds.
UTSA Scholarship or Assistantship Letter
- The letter must meet these requirements:
- Must be on the UTSA institution letterhead
- Have the student’s full name
- Have a description of the award and the amount, including the period of time when it is effective
- Signed by the institution or UTSA academic department representative
- Emailed notifications of scholarships cannot be used towards the UTSA I-20.
- Health insurance coverage is assumed to be only for the student, unless the letter specifies that it covers spouse and/or child(ren)
- Where the award letters have contingent awards for future semesters we will only consider the awards for the fall and spring semesters, not the summer. (for example, "Renewal of the assistantship for spring and summer semesters will be determined by student performance and availability of funds)
If your education is being sponsored by a business, not an individual you must provide:
- A letter from the owner of the company on company letterhead. This letter must state that business funds can be used towards the student’s education.
- The company must also provide a bank letter or statement that conform to the requirements above.
UTSA Financial Affidavit for F-2 Students
Submit this form only if you have dependents coming to, or remaining in the U.S., or if you wish to remove your dependents from your SEVIS F-1 record.
Select the F-2 action requested
If you are adding or removing your dependents from your SEVIS record, fill out their information below. Please submit a copy of your dependent’s passports.
Please note, if your dependent is currently in the U.S., and you plan to change their current status to F-2, the dependent will need to maintain a valid non-immigrant status up until the F-2 status is approved.
Please note, adding or removing dependents from your SEVIS record can affect your estimated expenses. To see how much funding you must show in order to receive an updated UTSA I-20, contact the International Services Office at International.Services@utsa.edu
These estimates are subject to change without prior notice; the exact costs of attendance will vary by student and will be determined at the point of course registration.