Immigration Document Verification

In order to meet the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) arrival document reporting requirement, all new F-1 and J-1 visa students must submit a copy of their immigration documents to the International Services Office.

Documents to Submit

F-1 and J-1 visa students

  • Form I-20/DS-2019 signed by you at the bottom of page one
  • F-1 visa
  • Form I-94

Document Information

Form I-20 (F visa) and Form DS-2019 (J visa)

Your UTSA Form I-20/DS-2019 is not valid until you sign page one. Submit a signed copy to the International Services Office by email or regular mail (see above). You will maintain a valid, up-to-date Form I-20/DS-2019 throughout your stay in the U.S.


A valid, unexpired visa is required to travel to the U.S. Submit a copy of the visa page in your passport to the ISSO by email or regular mail.

Form I-94

The I-94 is issued through the port of entry in the U.S. Depending on where you enter the U.S. you will be given a white card or told to obtain your I-94 information online. Either version is valid.

  • Card – If you receive a white card, submit a copy of the front and back to International Services.
  • Electronic – If you receive a stamp in your passport but no card, obtain your I-94 information at* Submit a copy of the information you access online to International Services.

*To request your I-94 online, you will be asked to complete a short form online. It will request passport information and arrival date. If you get an error message, try again using a different format of your name. For example, enter it as it appears in your passport, then as it appears on the U.S. visa. Print a copy of the I-94 for your records. You will need this for many uses, such as driver’s license and Social Security card applications. Be sure all the information is in English.

If the online information is incorrect or cannot be found, a visitor can obtain a new I-94 at the local Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Deferred Inspection office. 

How to Submit Documents

Submit an appropriate request via the International Services Portal