FAQs About the Academic English Program

Q: Do you offer financial aid?

A:  Because we are a non-credit program, students do not qualify for financial aid.

However, we do accept other forms of financial assistance. For example, we can accept a financial guarantee or sponsorship letter if you are going to be sponsored by your government, an agency, or an employer.

In addition to that, you may qualify for the “ Refer a Friend Tuition Discount.” 

Q: How do I apply?

A:  Click on  Apply Today and then “Submit New Application.”

You will also need to submit:

  • Photocopy of passport
  • Photocopy of visa (if applicable)
  • Photocopy of I-20 (if transferring)
  • Photocopy of recent bank statement (within last 6 months) translated into English showing a minimum balance of $12,648.00
  • Affidavit Form (can be downloaded at the end of the online application)

Q: Can I apply if I am considered a U.S. citizen or permanent resident?

A:  Yes. Submit an online application  and provide proof of citizenship or Permanent Resident status. No additional documentation will be required.

Q: How does the program work?

A:  Our fall and spring semesters are approximately 14 weeks with 20 hours of study per week. Our summer semesters are approximately 10 weeks with 28 hours of study per week. We have five levels of study and instruction focuses within these areas:

  • Reading/Vocabulary
  • Writing/Grammar
  • Oral Communication
  • TOEFL Preparation
  • American Culture
  • Accent Modification

New students attend orientation one week before the start of each semester. During orientation week, students take the placement test, which will determine the level of study in which they are placed. Each level takes one semester to complete.

Q: How long is the program?

A:  From level one to level five, the program could take a year and a half to complete. However, the level at which you are placed determines how long your personal program will be. Your placement test results will determine your level of English.

Q: I am in the U.S. currently. Can I study with my current visa?

A:  If you have a tourist visa, you will need to request a change in visa status to the F-1 visa. We can assist you in processing the Form I-20, which you will need to take with you to your nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy to request the F-1 student visa.
For other visa types, please check your study eligibility here.

Q: Can I transfer to your school?

A:  Yes. Please submit your application and as long as you are in good standing, your SEVIS number can be transferred to our program once you submit all the required documents to complete the application process.

Q: How can I pay the application fee?

A:   The application fee will be charged online once you submit your application.

Q: How can I make the tuition payment?

A:   You will pay tuition after arriving for the semester, completing a placement exam, and all the other requirements before registration. The ELC will then register you and fees will appear in your student account. At this point, you can make a payment online if using a credit card or electronic check, or it can be made in-person at the Fiscal Services office on campus if paying in cash. Our staff will assist you in understanding the process for making this payment during orientation.

Q: What is the program’s refund policy?

A:  Depending on the time of the withdrawal, a student may be entitled to a refund of some part of the tuition. The program follows the same refund policy as UTSA. For more information about the refund policy please click here.

Important information:

  • U.S. permanent residents and citizens do not need to provide a bank statement. All you need to apply is a completed application and a copy of your U.S. passport or resident card (green card). If you do not have this, a birth certificate and valid official photo ID such as a driver’s license should suffice. Check with ELC staff if you are unsure about the form of ID that you submitted.
  • If you are a student bringing a dependent, in addition to the requirements, you will need a passport, visa, and I-20 copies (if applicable) of your dependents. Also, your bank statement will need to show $5,000 for a spouse and/or $3,000 per child in addition to the minimum balance required.
  • If you will be sponsored by SACM, MOHE- Kuwait, WAMS, etc., you will need to submit your financial guarantee letter at the time of applying. Please make sure to submit your financial guarantee letter every semester to englishlanguagecenter@utsa.edu to process your payment.
  • F-2 students do not need to provide a bank statement. However, you do need to provide the photocopy of your sponsor’s (F-1) passport, visa, and I-20 so we can verify that their status is current.

Don't see your question answered here?

Contact us!
We would be more than happy to help with any of your questions regarding our Academic English Program or any of our other services.
Office Phone: 210.458.7677
Email: englishlanguagecenter@utsa.edu